POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: Physically Correct rendering Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically Correct rendering
From: scott
Date: 20 Jan 2010 03:33:23
Message: <4b56bfd3$1@news.povray.org>
> GPU acceleration will be useful when the following conditions are met:
> 1) Support for sophisticated branching
> 2) Full double-precision accuracy
> 3) Large memory sets (other than textures)
> 4) Independent shaders running on distinct units.

I think all those conditions are already met.  For me the only barrier to
not implementing POV on the GPU is the developer effort needed, and the risk
that it might be wasted if the overall technology changes of programming
GPUs in the next 5-10 years.

Maybe there are some small problems that have to be worked around, but IMO
GPUs are powerful enough today to run something like POV.  I already made
demo applications that do raytraced spheres and isosurfaces on the GPU (and
my GPU is not even a modern one, it still has certain limitations), so I'm
pretty sure something *could* written in OpenCL or CUDA on a new GPU and
would handle POV fine, including all primitives and texturing.  It's just
the effort needed, and whether it will all be wasted in 5 years when
something new appears.