POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pseudoscience WTF?! : Re: Pseudoscience WTF?! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pseudoscience WTF?!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jan 2010 01:08:53
Message: <4b569df5@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/2010 7:39 AM, andrel wrote:
> On 19-1-2010 12:43, gregjohn wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> For example, almost
>>> all of a neutron star is made of neutrons, so there is much
>>> more non-empty matter out there than she thinks.
>>

>> Right, the neutron star is an obvious disproof of the bowling-ball-matter
>> factoid. Perhaps I gave her too much benefit of the doubt on that.
>> However, I
>> remember my Lutheran catechismal materials in 8th grade making
>> philosophical
>> reflections about the fact that most ordinary matter around us is
>> mostly open
>> space. I have a vague recollection of some reputed scientist--
>> Sagan??-- doing
>> the same.
>>
> That is correct. I was unable to watch the entire video. With respect to
> putting all mass in one place. At a certain compression you get the
> famous black hole. The size of the Schwartzschild radius increases
> linearly with mass i.e. faster than the cubic root of the mass.
> IIRC if you would put the enire mass of the universe into a blackhole it
> would have a radius of half the universe or so. Or at least something
> slightly bigger than a bowling ball.
Well, actually, one theory, and its one that Hawkins apparently
supports, from my understanding, is that there isn't such a thing as a
singularity. What you get is a mass that superheats, and has so much
gravity that its own light can't escape. Thus, the universe would
compress to what ever size is possible in such a black star, given the
maximum level of compression you *can* compress matter, before it can't
pack any tighter, but just gets increasingly hotter. This is bound to be
rather larger than a bowling ball.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {