POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Captain Jack
Date: 19 Jan 2010 11:13:10
Message: <4b55da16$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b51f88d@news.povray.org...
> I disagree.  Maybe it's just because we're more used to flat film (the
> same way that video games put in stuff like lens flairs even when the
> character isn't using lenses).
>
> I think the brain knows it's looking at a projection on a flat screen and
> is more fooled by the stereo, so the inability to focus is more obvious.

That's how a lot of tilt-shift images are able to give the impression that
the viewer is looking at animated toys, instead of a film or image sequence
of "real" objects. We have become accustomed to the subtle cue that a narrow
depth of field (a feature of macro type lenses) means we're looking at
something small. An artist can play with depth of field (as well as color
saturation and other goodies) and create an illusion based on our
acclimation to cinema and still photography. I once saw a guy do a pretty
good tilt-shift simulation artificially (layer after layer of abstraction
now...) in Poser of all things.

--
Jack