POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: Physically Correct rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically Correct rendering
From: Chambers
Date: 18 Jan 2010 16:37:15
Message: <4b54d48b$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> gee, man!, it was just a hint.  You clearly are all just fine with a
> slow raytracer for RSOCPs.  That's fine to me, though it's sad to be
> nostalgic...

Alright, let me state this as clearly as I can, since you obviously
haven't figured it out yet:

Current GPUs do not support the features necessary to be useful for POV-Ray.

Our options are to either wait for more powerful GPUs, or rewrite the
entire program from scratch.

Since the POV-Team is currently investing a great deal of time working
out bugs in 3.7, the idea of throwing everything out the window and
starting over does not appeal to them.  So they have decided to focus on
3.7, and wait for something more useful to come along.

If you would like to contribute your time, and work on making POV GPGPU
compatible, then by all means go ahead.  But don't say we're in denial
just because we don't have the time or inclination to do so with the
current options.

...Chambers