POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: Physically Correct rendering Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically Correct rendering
From: Chambers
Date: 18 Jan 2010 13:40:16
Message: <4b54ab10$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I won't consider a renderer "physically correct" until you create a
> scene to replicate the double-slit experiment and the renderer gives the
> correct image.

In this day and age of such extremely powerful computers, when
commonplace games like Crysis offer near photorealistic graphics, and
average video cards like the HD5850 or the GT280 offer unprecedented
teraflops of processing power, it is inexcusable that POV-Ray should be
stuck with the antiquated method of treating light as a ray!

I demand that everyone immediately halt work on 3.7, and start working
on support for physically accurate light at one!  I'm afraid I can't do
it myself, as I don't have the skills, but there are plenty of smart
people here who could finish the job if they would just pull their heads
out of the sand, wake up, and smell the coffee!

;)

...Chambers