POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Chambers
Date: 18 Jan 2010 13:29:22
Message: <4b54a882$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> to try to port to one specific architecture. Particularly if that is not
>> supported by the standard setup of a typical POV user.
>
> GPU's are part of every computer nowadays whether you use them or not.

Since you seem to know so much about GPUs, let me ask you this: who is
the top GPU vendor?

Hint: It's not AMD or NVidia.

In fact, Intel has more than 50% market share in GPUs... and they don't
even have a discrete GPU, but only integrated solutions, which are
barely able to run Aero Glass).

The remaining market share is split between NVidia, AMD, and various
specialty shops.  However, the lion's share of their sales are in the
form of integrated solutions, rather than discrete cards.

You're living in a world where the majority of people, even if they have
a quad core processor, have GPUs that struggle to play The Sims.

...Chambers