POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BIGNUMs for Andrew : Re: BIGNUMs for Andrew Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BIGNUMs for Andrew
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Jan 2010 11:47:12
Message: <4b549090$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> I just visited a random website that uses HTTPS, and it seems all the
>> certificates are RSA 2,048 bits. Which is interesting, because the
>> encryption itself is just RC4 (128 bits). And this is "high-grade
>> encryption"??
>
>   Number of bits between different encryption algorithms is not comparable.

Most particularly, asymmetric algorithms such as RSA typically require
far more bits than do symmetric algorithms such as RC4. But sure, it
also varies by individual cipher of course.

My point was that 128 bits isn't much for *any* symmetric cipher. So
calling this "high-grade encryption" is somewhat misleading.

2,048 bits for the RSA cipher, OTOH, should be safe for a while yet...