POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BIGNUMs for Andrew : Re: BIGNUMs for Andrew Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BIGNUMs for Andrew
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Jan 2010 05:02:36
Message: <4b5431bc$1@news.povray.org>
>> About the only thing I _did_ understand is that whoever these people
>> are, they somehow have access to some pretty futuristic computer
>> hardware. o_O
>
> good thing it is researchers spending two years and a half of many
> hundreds of machines rather than thieves. ^^;

Heh, good thing I typically use 4,096 bits for an RSA key. (Honestly, as
far as I can tell, there is no detectable difference in speed at all...
But it's going to make one hell of a difference to anybody bored enough
to want to attack a key that belongs to *me* of all people.)

I just visited a random website that uses HTTPS, and it seems all the
certificates are RSA 2,048 bits. Which is interesting, because the
encryption itself is just RC4 (128 bits). And this is "high-grade
encryption"??