POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 17 Jan 2010 15:44:09
Message: <4b537699$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>> If you wonder, I recommend reading their code and finding out. Then you
>> will see how it does not work past spheres and triangles.
>
> which is why, *again*, I have to point out I was hinting at using the
> GPU solely to speed up povray's ray-triangle intersections.

If we must resort to car analogies, you are asking "Why, if a turbo
charger running 1 lbs of boost does so much for an engine, can we not
run 25 lbs of boost and get even more."

Moving 'just the triangle code' would result in MORE branches, not
fewer, as each ray would have to know, before being cast, whether it's
potential target was a simple GPU handled object, or a complex CPU one.
But we have covered this same detail in other posts that you seem
content to just ignore. As for a commandline flag, if what you want is a
simple triangle renderer that is accelerated by the GPU, then I suggest
you use one.

In short, take the words we have offered on these arguments, for the
last 50-odd posts, and google them. Learn something instead of sitting
there and talking about something you have admitted you do not have even
a bare understanding of. Then, when you have completed even a cursory
study of any part of it, come back and we can talk like grown-ups.