POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Jan 2010 13:45:52
Message: <4b535ae0$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 17-1-2010 20:08, nemesis wrote:
>> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
>>> If you wonder, I recommend reading their code and finding out. Then you
>>> will see how it does not work past spheres and triangles.
>>
>> which is why, *again*, I have to point out I was hinting at using the
>> GPU solely to speed up povray's ray-triangle intersections.
>
> Because it is like pointing out that there are ways to increase the
> speed of a car that only works on highways without realizing that it
> would mean that you can not use the car anywhere else.

Sounds about right to me.  I'm not complaining that a is to narrow for
my car if I can always take another road.

>> Is there any trolling in that?  Wishing to make povray readily more
>> usable outside its small math geek audience?
>
> It is not a small and definitely not a math or a geek audience.

It's certainly nowhere near as large as in the CG industry.  Here's a
good place to start:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

Quite a bit more active than even p.o.t, huh?  You may search for
pov-ray there.

And if it's not math or geek focused, why it is most of the images in
p.b.i abstract math, RSOCPs or isosurface terrains?  There certainly are
too a lot of truly beauty images depicting real-world objects and scenes
-- mostly as triangle meshes, some as painfully constructed CSG -- but
they are the exception.

Quite like people who wish to go to the workplace on bike rather than
taking the highway...