POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Jan 2010 09:39:10
Message: <4b51cf8e$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 16-1-2010 15:58, nemesis wrote:
>>> GPUs are, but do they support CUDA or similar*?
>>
>> they will once code is complete.
>
> Ah, still young and naive. I have seen a lot of promising technology and
> software discontinued after a few years. I think it is highly like (
>  >70% ) that this particular type of GPU programming will be obsolete in
> 5 years time.

I look at heavyweights in the industry at large and they seem to think
differently.  Either you are right and they will all be broke by
investing on a fad or you are

> Most probably replaced by an API where you don't know if
> software is running on a GPU or not, if I can have a guess.

Like heterogeneous multiprocessing with OpenCL?  Agreed.

>> The first is the only one that counts, since it's the most recent (and
>> fairly old already BTW).  Laptops always use yesterday's technology.
>
> The laptop is the newest by far.

It has a newer card?  I don't like laptops precisely because you pay too
much to use old tech (that are finally miniaturized enough to fit and
consume less power).

>> We shouldn't have to wait for the iPhone to have a proper GPU to begin
>> any such coding...
>
> Ok, be my guest. I'll wait and see what you come up with.

yes, keep waiting.