POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:56:58
Message: <4b50ba7a$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Messy and annoying, when the CPU gives you just under 4 gigs in a simple
> 32-bit OS as long as the system has the virtual ram space available. And
> even more than that in 64-bit, if you ask the OS nicely.

More than that in 32 bits too, if you ask the OS nicely. :-) You just have
to manage the virtual -> real mapping yourself.  (I.e., the mapping of your
virtual addresses onto disk space, not the mapping of your virtual addresses
into RAM space.)

People nowadays don't remember what it was like when *every* program didn't
have enough address space, when a simple sub-notepad-sophistication keyboard
driven text editor didn't have enough address space to hold a document...

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do