POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:54:20
Message: <4b50b9dc$1@news.povray.org>
>> The information I got is that the GPU runs "bunches" of threads on its
>> several-hundred cores, and all the threads in a "bunch" must be
>> identical [just operating on different data], but different bunches can
>> run utterly different code...
>>

> In general, though, what is the smallest maximum number of "bunches"
> that you can run? I know my card lists 4 work groups, I do not know if
> any other cards currently being sold only allow 2, or possibly only 1,
> bunch to be run at once.

I'll check the CUDA manual. Obviously this stuff varies by GPU, but I
was under the impression my card handles something like 16 bunches at
once or so.

Certainly you can't currently run thousands of seperate tasks at once.
But then, my card (for example) has something like 300 hardware units.
That's a hell of a lot more than 4 CPU cores...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/