POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:49:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:31:05
Message: <4b50b469$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> You people must render something utterly different to what I render! I
> think the most demanding scene I ever ran wanted 10MB of RAM or
> something...

I was wrapping an object in wire using a sphere sweep. While it was just
a minor background detail, I had several billion spheres. In my defense,
I was also doing this just to find the point at which I ran out of memory.

>>> What exactly do you mean by that?
>>
>> I am guessing that he meant the ability to run multiple threads on the
>> GPU, instead of running 100 instances of the same thread with slightly
>> different starting conditions. I know that my card supports 4 different
>> work groups, split over 8 'processors' each.
>
> The information I got is that the GPU runs "bunches" of threads on its
> several-hundred cores, and all the threads in a "bunch" must be
> identical [just operating on different data], but different bunches can
> run utterly different code...

In general, though, what is the smallest maximum number of "bunches"
that you can run? I know my card lists 4 work groups, I do not know if
any other cards currently being sold only allow 2, or possibly only 1,
bunch to be run at once.