POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:21:10
Message: <4b50b216$1@news.povray.org>
>>> 3) Large memory sets (other than textures)
>> My GPU has access to just under 1GB of RAM. How much do you want?
>>

> They lack virtual ram in a simple sense, last I looked, but you can
> manage that by having your CPU thread move things around as needed.
> Messy and annoying, when the CPU gives you just under 4 gigs in a simple
> 32-bit OS as long as the system has the virtual ram space available. And
> even more than that in 64-bit, if you ask the OS nicely. On the CPU,
> when you need different parts of that 4 gigs of stuff, the OS handles
> it. I suspect that, should the GPU need new data fed into memory, it
> would require more than just stalling the threads while the data is
> moved from ram or paged memory over to the graphics card.

You people must render something utterly different to what I render! I
think the most demanding scene I ever ran wanted 10MB of RAM or something...

>>> 4) Independent shaders running on distinct units.
>> What exactly do you mean by that?
>
> I am guessing that he meant the ability to run multiple threads on the
> GPU, instead of running 100 instances of the same thread with slightly
> different starting conditions. I know that my card supports 4 different
> work groups, split over 8 'processors' each.

The information I got is that the GPU runs "bunches" of threads on its
several-hundred cores, and all the threads in a "bunch" must be
identical [just operating on different data], but different bunches can
run utterly different code...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/