POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 15 Jan 2010 13:08:40
Message: <4b50af28@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> 3) Large memory sets (other than textures)
>
> My GPU has access to just under 1GB of RAM. How much do you want?

They lack virtual ram in a simple sense, last I looked, but you can
manage that by having your CPU thread move things around as needed.
Messy and annoying, when the CPU gives you just under 4 gigs in a simple
32-bit OS as long as the system has the virtual ram space available. And
even more than that in 64-bit, if you ask the OS nicely. On the CPU,
when you need different parts of that 4 gigs of stuff, the OS handles
it. I suspect that, should the GPU need new data fed into memory, it
would require more than just stalling the threads while the data is
moved from ram or paged memory over to the graphics card.

>> 4) Independent shaders running on distinct units.
>
> What exactly do you mean by that?

I am guessing that he meant the ability to run multiple threads on the
GPU, instead of running 100 instances of the same thread with slightly
different starting conditions. I know that my card supports 4 different
work groups, split over 8 'processors' each.