POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Jan 2010 11:34:53
Message: <4b50992d$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> 1) Support for sophisticated branching

When this happens, the GPU will be exactly the same speed as the CPU.

The GPU is fast *because* it doesn't support sophisticated branching.

> 2) Full double-precision accuracy

This already exists apparently. (E.g., my GPU supports double-precision
math.)

> 3) Large memory sets (other than textures)

My GPU has access to just under 1GB of RAM. How much do you want?

> 4) Independent shaders running on distinct units.

What exactly do you mean by that?