POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Jan 2010 11:16:10
Message: <4b5094ca@news.povray.org>
Chambers escreveu:
> I can't recall POV-Ray ever being one of the fastest raytracers around.

I can recall it being used as a useful benchmarking tool once it got
multicore.

>  Everyone else is willing to make sacrifices concerning accuracy in
> order to speed up rendering (for instance, only accepting triangles).

If you use so many triangles so that each are smaller than a screen
pixel, you lose no more accuracy than any pov primitive.

In any cases, you get it wrong:  the amazing speed up is not due to
native GPU triangle handling, but faster ray intersection calculations
thanks to the GPU sheer parallel vector processing.  You can see that in
smallptGPU where you get perfect math spheres much faster, no meshes in
sight.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9