POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Captain Jack
Date: 15 Jan 2010 09:24:45
Message: <4b507aad@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> One thing that I'm wondering about this film in 3D - do they get the
> focus right?  One of the problems I've read about current 3D technologies
> (well, most of them going back in cinemas to the point it was introduced)
> is that the focus is constant - things near and far are in focus, and
> that can induce eye strain because your eyes tend to want to focus on
> specific things, not everything (as I recall).

IMO, if there was an award for getting DOF right in a CG film, Avatar would
win it. You really need to see it, it's really so well done that it's hard
to describe, because I can't think of another film to compare it to. The
film looks like it was shot with real lenses (which it sort of was... the
built a special "camera" that let the Cameron walk through the CG set,
"seeing" the plants and setting up his shots using simulated lenses).

There's some great "making of" articles at www.cgsociety.org that show some
of the work that went into it.

--
Jack