POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Difference in height_fields between beta 35 and previous betas or 3.6 : Re: Difference in height_fields between beta 35 and previous betas or 3.6 Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:04:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference in height_fields between beta 35 and previous betas or 3.6
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jan 2010 03:14:33
Message: <4b5023e9$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] povrayorg> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote in message
>> The answer is yes. With a JPEG image called by the function, the
>> discrepancy happens too. Again, this can be corrected by adding
>> file_gamma 1.0
>
> looks around ... wonders if someone is capturing this stuff to be added to
> the documentation.
> not to subtle ... eh?

Oh dear... I am willing to do that of course, concerning height_fields. I
prefer to leave the gamma stuff to those who know what they are talking
about.. I shall have first to familiarize myself (again) with wiki
editing... :-)

Concerning the topic, I am (still) surprised and confused about the whole
issue. I confess that I don't understand at all why or how this gamma stuff
influences on height_field maps, whatever the image format, and why there is
no issue with image_maps used directly in a height_field and not called by a
function. I think that explanation would also be needed in the docs....

Thomas