POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Jan 2010 19:30:13
Message: <4b4fb715$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> How do you suggest that the ray-tracing part separates the object that
> it intersects? Without a complete overhaul, it will have to support all
> of the objects that POV-Ray supports. Otherwise, you have to decide at
> the time the ray hits an object whether you process that on the GPU or
> CPU. Then, what do you gain by offloading just the triangle and sphere
> code to the GPU?

How about this:  a -gpu flag to povray?  People turn it on when they
want to indicate a complete mesh-only scene to be run on GPU.  The
parser then simply ignores whatever other povray primitives are there.

> Perfect, that card has even fewer stream processors than mine; You just
> volunteered.

Then I'll be glad to help.  Just tell me wherever setups or installs I
need to do when you're ready.

now tell me:  please say you're a hottie german blondie and not a fat
old fart! :D