POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Warp
Date: 14 Jan 2010 17:13:16
Message: <4b4f96fc@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack <Cap### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Gotta be careful, though... my girlfriend and I loved it, but her mom and
> sister (who went with us to the I-MAX) are both subject to motion sickness,
> and some of the aerial sequences made them have to take off the glasses. Her
> sister even got physically ill, unfortunately. To be fair, though, this was
> on January 1 and we had all partied quite a bit the night before, so that
> may have been involved.

  I suppose having played first-person shooters for quite many years
accustomes oneself to fake 3D (even though in the movie's case it's a
lot closer to real three-dimensionality as perceived by the brain).

  I think that it's the conflict between something looking like it's
closer or farther than the screen, even though the image really is on
the screen, and thus the eyes focus closer or farther, while still
noticing at some level that the object is not *really* at that distance
because it's just an image projected onto the flat screen. Each eye
getting a different image, creating a very credible 3D effect, helps
fool the brain quite a lot, but I think that still at some level the
brain sees the conflict, which might be what causes the motion sickness
in some people.

  I didn't feel any such thing, though. At certain points it was a bit
difficult to focus properly because it wasn't immediately clear where
to focus, but for the vast majority the 3D effect looked very good and
very real.

--
                                                          - Warp