POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest : Re: Draft #1 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Draft #1
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jan 2010 16:50:46
Message: <4b4f91b6$1@news.povray.org>
>> Seriously, the database runs itself. I need to set it up initially,
>> recover it if it breaks, and back it up periodically. What else is there?
>
> Performance tuning. Making changes to the schema. Things like that.
>
> If it doesn't get heavy use and you're not often changing your
> applications, then there isn't much else.

We had 1 application with about 30 users, and at any one time roughly 6
people actually hitting the DB simultaneously. The crappy little VB app
at the front was far, far slower than the Oracle database engine itself.

Not much scope for performance tuning. ;-) Although, having said that, I
did fiddle around with the log file size to solve a minor performance
issue. What happens is that as you work on a project, you gradually add
data to the database. When the project is done, you archive it into an
Access DB file (!!). So the whole project gets deleted in one go - which
generates a big chunk of DB activity all at once, overflowing the
logfiles. So I could argue that I "tuned" to fix that.

If we had ever had to upgrade it, the process would probably be to run
some vendor-provided SQL scripts. That's how you set it up initially;
create an empty DB, then run their scripts to generate all the tables
and stuff. So no, no real schema changes. (Just as well really. Have you
SEEN their schema?!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/