POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar : Re: Avatar Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avatar
From: Captain Jack
Date: 14 Jan 2010 16:07:01
Message: <4b4f8775@news.povray.org>
news:4b4f5ac8$1@news.povray.org...
> I don't mind simple, but cliche got to me. I'm sure you can think of
> several other well-known stories with essentially identical plots. :-)

Well.. one or two, yeah. :-)

> Agreed. I almost never see a long movie without looking at my watch, but
> I'll admit there have been a handful like that. Indeed, I think that might
> be one of the reasons Transformers2 was so enjoyable while still being
> utterly stupid at the same time. :-)

I really liked Transformers 2, although most of the time I couldn't tell
whether it was the good guys or the bad guys getting blown up. The juvenile
humor was a nice touch, too; as though they were saying, "Yes, we know
exactly what kind of movie we are."

> It's definitely a keeper. I'm hoping they actually filmed the scenes they
> cut[1] and plan to include them in the DVDs.  I also expect this will be
> one of the first 3D movies available on 3D disk players when such are
> invented.

I know a guy who is already planning to get a 3D TV as soon as he gets a
chance, in the hopes that he'll be able to get a Blu-Ray (or some
equivalent) of this movie whenever it becomes available.

I don't know if the current spate of 3D in cinema is going to be a fad or
not, but I think this movie did a really good job of showing how it can add
to the performance without being an in-your-face gimmick (well, mostly...).
I do wish there was some way to create a screen made up of semi-transparent
layers (or something) so that 3D films could be done without the glasses,
though.

--
Jack