POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest : Re: Draft #1 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Draft #1
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Jan 2010 12:54:39
Message: <4b4f5a5f$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:58:46 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Currently I think almost the entirity of page #2 could be completely
>>> removed and it would make almost no difference to the quality of this
>>> CV.
>>
>> Page 2 contains important information; it shows that you have interests
>> and hobbies, and for many employers, this is something that matters (it
>> says to them that you aren't a workaholic and thus are less likely to
>> burn out)
>
> Heh. Like employers are going to care whether I prefer ballroom to
> hip-hop. :-P

They may not, but if you're being interviewed by someone who is also into
dancing, that common interest can be useful for the interview.  Never
underestimate the value of having something in common with the
interviewer.

>> ● Active Directory user account management, NTFS file security, TCP/IP
>> network configuration.
>
> Woah. That one really is a random grab-bag, eh?

Not really, they're all related to administration of a Windows
infrastructure.

>> ● Oracle database creation, configuration, backup and recovery, and
>> other maintenance.
>>
>> (Define "other maintenance" more precisely; user administration?
>> Access management?)
>
> Neither of those.
>
> Actually *all* I've done is install Oracle, create a blank database,
> recover a destroyed database from backup, and regularly backup a running
> database. That's basically *it*. But by mumbling something about "other
> maintenance" I can make it sound like I did something significant.

So someone else does the DBA tasks?  In that case, just be prepared to
define what "other maintenance" is in case they ask.

>>  * Became the system administrator of the UK site's Oracle database.
>> Responsibilities included regularly backing up data and restoring it as
>> needed.
>>
>> (You might also expand this to cover other things - user
>> administration, for example, might be something you did for the Oracle
>> setup.  You might also specify the version of Oracle being used if it's
>> current).
>
> I specifically didn't mention the version of Oracle I worked with, since
> it was after all released over 10 years ago.

That's fair enough. :-)

> That said, I doubt things have changed *drastically* from the
> administrator's point of view. (I'm sure they still have tablespaces and
> redologs and rollback segments and parameter files...) But it doesn't
> look cool when you say the equivilent of "hey, I have lots of experience
> with Word 3.0!"

Agreed.

Jim