POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Jan 2010 11:31:24
Message: <4b4f46dc$1@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
>> What hope is there for an old-fashioned, dog-slow, CPU-only raytracer
>> to still be alive by 2020?
>
> Because nothing else will come along with a nice SDL like POV has.
> Almost all other raytracers *require* you to use an external mesh
> modeller to generate your scene - POV doesn't which IMO is its strongest
> point.

well, you have a point.  FORTRAN is still around too and just as much
niche as pov SDL, but it's also more useful.

>> The guys there ported the ray intersection code and the space
>> partitioning.
>
> Sure, that's relatively simple for triangles, but that is only a tiny
> part of POV.

which is why I'm suggesting looking only at this tiny part for the
change.  Tiny or not, it's 90% more useful for general 3D artists than
all perfect spheres or math surfaces.

Would you not enjoy povray to go wildly popular?  Do you prefer it to be
this geek niche?  Popularity would also bring more contributing
developers, I guess...

> If you only want to render triangle meshes then I would suggest that POV
> isn't the best tool for the job.

That is kind of obvious as it is now.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9