POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mathematically derived bicubic patches : Re: Mathematically derived bicubic patches Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mathematically derived bicubic patches
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 14 Jan 2010 06:01:25
Message: <4b4ef985@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Are you saying the leaves in "Clay Pots" were created in a modeler that
> outputs bi-cubic patches such as Hamapatch?

Yes ... Bishop3D

> But that you would rather shape their profiles with mathematical curves,
> then fill in the surfaces using bicubic patches?
>
> Or that you have already done that but would like to do it better?

Although the pots turned out rather well, the leaves/petals not so much ...
I'm just looking for a better way. Maybe I just need to spend more time with
a modeller to get the desired results.

> It would seem that by the time you come up with a method for interrogating
> some curve(s), or even just some spline(s) to get corner and control
> points for some patch(es), you might just as well use the points to
> generate triangles?

Well now that you mention it triangles DOES sound like a better approach.

Some of the stuff I have read (unless I misunderstood) seemed to indicate
multiple patches "glued" togeather to create the final shape ... I'm into
new territory with this so I'm not standing by any of my assumptions at this
point. If you think another method would yield better results, I'm open to
exploring them ...

Jim