POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightsabers.. : Re: Lightsabers.. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsabers..
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jan 2010 01:02:06
Message: <4b4eb35e$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> unlike a true lightsaber you would have a solid core,
>>
>> I wasn't aware we knew enough about how lightsabers work to know there
>> isn't a solid core (or at least a wire) under the plasma.
>>
> Kidding me?

No.

You could very easily[1] build something like a lightsabre with a loop of
wire at the tip attached to a wire that runs down the middle, with magnetic
fields keeping the wire stable. It wouldn't be "solid" core, but just a wire
held in place by very strong magnetic fields.

The wire could easily be thin enough to break if it actually touched something.

Heck, you've got FTL travel. Why not make a wire out of exotic material with
negative energy, and build a plasma field around that?

> Its way more practical to make a saw than a sword, for *multiple*
> reasons, using that sort of plasma.

I wasn't aware we knew what kind of plasma was used in a lightsaber.  I'm
just highly amused that you're sure enough of how a lightsaber works that
you're telling me I'm wrong about there being anything supporting the blade.

[1] At least as easily as any other of the star wars tech.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do