POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightsabers.. : Re: Lightsabers.. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsabers..
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Jan 2010 23:57:36
Message: <4b4ea440$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:
>> light the LED(s). No, the, as one guy put it, "unicorn they are looking
>> for", is a way to make the actual tube itself "extend", without having to
>> have it a fixed length. There is no practical solution at this point for
>> doing that.
>
> Your are perfectly right. I wanted to suggest some way that might allow to
>  >see< through a clear glass cylinder (without noticing LEDs), enhancing the
> illusion of extension. Frankly, to put my idea into work, you would have to
> do quite a bit of experimenting. Fiddling with pressures, dyes, voltages.
> Way too much work and expense for a party ;-)
>
> Something that might actually work and look cool (though not at all like a
> lightsabre) would be putting a chain of miniature plasma globe emitters into
> a clear glass cylinder.
>
> http://www.teslaboys.com/Plasma/MorePlasmaGlobes/index.html
>
> I mean: take a plasma globe, shrink it's diameter to 3 cm, take 50 emitters
> and put them into a 1.5 m long glass cylinder. Fill it with Krypton, power
> up and enjoy.
>
> If you could get it to work, it would look very cool, I guess.
>
> Still - way too much work and expense for a party ;-)

Well, the existing system apparently works pretty well. I mean, you end
up with a silly plastic tube, which you can see, on the thing, but, at
the same time, the result looks *exactly* like the movies, even when
using only *one* LED, from the "activation" extension, to the shimmer
while operating, to the shrinking, as it shuts down. If you could just
get rid of the damn tube.. lol

But, gas based solutions have numerous issues (early models used them,
until the super bright LEDs came out), not the least being that you can
duel, with a fair amount of aggression, with these new ones, but the old
gas+tube based ones where way to fragile for that (and took a lot less
power). These will run a single LED for most of a day, I guess, multiple
ones, for people using that version, for several hours, and can be
charged pretty fast. The prior ones... not so much.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();