POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mathematically derived bicubic patches : Re: Mathematically derived bicubic patches Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mathematically derived bicubic patches
From: Jim Charter
Date: 13 Jan 2010 23:56:00
Message: <4b4ea3e0$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> Hola,
>
> Since I can barely draw a straght line with a ruler, I've not had much luck
> making bicubic patches that look like leaves and petals (Clay Pots post in
> p.b.i) I was wondering if anyone had done anything along those lines but
> using formula's instead on pushing and pulling on a shape in a modeller.
> I've done some homework and have some links bookmarked, but will save them
> for late night insomnia (some pretty heady reading btw) ... Not looking for
> a short cut, but if anyone has anything they might like to offer up for
> study, that would be nice!
>
> Hasta Bye

It's not clear to me either:

how you made those leaves in "Clay Pots",

or

how you would rather make them.

Are you saying the leaves in "Clay Pots" were created in a modeler that
outputs bi-cubic patches such as Hamapatch?

But that you would rather shape their profiles with mathematical curves,
then fill in the surfaces using bicubic patches?

Or that you have already done that but would like to do it better?

It would seem that by the time you come up with a method for
interrogating some curve(s), or even just some spline(s) to get corner
and control points for some patch(es), you might just as well use the
points to generate triangles?