POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest : Re: Draft #1 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Draft #1
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jan 2010 17:03:39
Message: <4b4e433b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:36:09 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Damnit, every time I edit this more, it gets shorter! o_O
>
> A few of you who saw my previous CV may remember that it used to be 2
> full pages of stuff.
>
> Currently I think almost the entirity of page #2 could be completely
> removed and it would make almost no difference to the quality of this
> CV.

Page 2 contains important information; it shows that you have interests
and hobbies, and for many employers, this is something that matters (it
says to them that you aren't a workaholic and thus are less likely to
burn out)

> Any hints, people?

Under "Main experience", I would word as follows:

● Desktop and server hardware assembly / troubleshooting.
● Installation and configuration of Microsoft Windows operating systems,
with a focus on Windows XP and Server 2003
● Active Directory user account management, NTFS file security, TCP/IP
network configuration.
● Symantec BackupExec software. DDS and LTO tape backup hardware.

(For the above item, I would specify what you did - I know it's obvious
to you and me that you managed backups; but you want actions to be what
you document.  "Utilised Symantec BackupExec to maintain verified backups
of critical system data" or something along those lines.  "Have
configured and worked with DDS and LTO tape backup hardware")

● Oracle database creation, configuration, backup and recovery, and other
maintenance.

(Define "other maintenance" more precisely; user administration?  Access
management?)

● Long track record of very strong grades in technical subjects,
particularly computer programming.
● Proven ability to readily learn new techniques and technologies.

(These are good to have as well.  Details can come up in the interview)

Under your employment history, the changes I'd make are mostly to get rid
of parenthetical phrases:

 * Responsible for keeping the UK computer systems operational.  This
consists of approximately 30 staff, 50 workstations, 5 servers, and the
necessary networking infrastructure.

 * Responsible for ensuring IT systems are operated in compliance with
all applicable regulations, including the Good Laboratory Practice.  This
includes routine record keeping of all configuration changes for audit
purposes as well as developing various documentation.  Confirmation of
regulatory compliance was achieved through periodic interviews with
external auditors.

 * Responsible for creating and updating computer policy and procedure
documents, which were reviewed by external government and client
auditors.  Several external auditors have complimented me on the high
quality of the documentation.

 * Designed, documented, and formally tested the UK site computer
disaster recovery plan.  This plan included documentation of all
plausible failures, the operational impact of those potential failures,
and the remediation options.  Where feasible, a test plan was produced
and executed and a record kept of all test results confirming that
redundant hardware performed as expected, the identified impacts matched
what was documented, and the remediation steps performed as intended and
expected.

 * Technical support and general troubleshooting for all computer-related
problems.  This involved liaising with various staff to resolve problems,
advise on technical matters, plan future upgrades, and other related
tasks.  Responsible for coordinating with IT departments from the
company's other sites.

 * Became the system administrator of the UK site's Oracle database.
Responsibilities included regularly backing up data and restoring it as
needed.

(You might also expand this to cover other things - user administration,
for example, might be something you did for the Oracle setup.  You might
also specify the version of Oracle being used if it's current).

Jim