POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest : Re: Endless quest Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Endless quest
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Jan 2010 15:53:34
Message: <4b4e32ce$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:54:25 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> The first task, then, is to adjust my CV.
>>
>> It's a good start - and good to hear you're starting this in earnest.
>
> Heh. I've wasted enough of my life here already. (Not that there's
> realistically much hope of getting anything better, mind you...)

Well, start with a positive attitude - that will help you approach the
task.  :-)

>> Being able to program is a very useful skill when doing system
>> administration. I would still include your programming skills, even if
>> they're not as prominent.
>>
>> Programming (and more importantly, the type of problem solving that
>> programming requires) is very useful when looking to build automation
>> solutions.
>
> Point taken. I can still mention it. But I do need to find something to
> fill up the rest of my CV now.

Yes, definitely mention it.  Don't worry about your CV looking "full" -
many prospective employers will recognise a CV that has additional
'fluff' or 'padding' in it.  Some embellishment (for the purposes of
marketing yourself) is expected, of course; just don't make that all
that's there.

>> Which you can do, because you've been doing it.  Chances are you'll be
>> asked to do some sort of test (or at least answer some questions) to
>> show that your skills are more than just words on paper. :-)
>
> Chances are, they'll see a page full of buzzwords and conclude that I
> don't know what the hell I'm talking about and I just copy & pasted as
> many technical-sounding words as I could find.
>
> And if they conclude this, I'll never even get as far as an interview.
> :-(

It's all about the presentation.  When I was in my early 20's and doing
my CV, I felt it was too long, but I had a fair bit of relevant
experience and knowledge at the time - but it did look like so many
buzzwords.  It still got looked at; so will yours.  Like I said above,
presentation matters.

Jim