POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Endless quest : Re: Endless quest Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Endless quest
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Jan 2010 14:54:15
Message: <4b4e24e7@news.povray.org>
>> The first task, then, is to adjust my CV.
>
> It's a good start - and good to hear you're starting this in earnest.

Heh. I've wasted enough of my life here already. (Not that there's
realistically much hope of getting anything better, mind you...)

> Being able to program is a very useful skill when doing system
> administration. I would still include
> your programming skills, even if they're not as prominent.
>
> Programming (and more importantly, the type of problem solving that
> programming requires) is very useful when looking to build automation
> solutions.

Point taken. I can still mention it. But I do need to find something to
fill up the rest of my CV now.

>> I suppose now I need to come up with a bunch of keywords to fill my CV
>> with. Stuff like "Active Directory" and "BackupExec" and "Oracle" and
>> "Ethernet". But then my CV ends up just being a soup of keywords.
>> Besides, if I just sit there and spew fourth a long list of technical
>> terms, that just proves that I'm good at looking up technobabble. The
>> most likely response is going to be "yeah? prove it."
>
> Which you can do, because you've been doing it.  Chances are you'll be
> asked to do some sort of test (or at least answer some questions) to show
> that your skills are more than just words on paper. :-)

Chances are, they'll see a page full of buzzwords and conclude that I
don't know what the hell I'm talking about and I just copy & pasted as
many technical-sounding words as I could find.

And if they conclude this, I'll never even get as far as an interview. :-(

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/