POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dimensions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 13 Jan 2010 12:50:45
Message: <4b4e07f5@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Actually, I was thinking of actual real space, where the same distances
> are different depending who is measuring them. What's a circle for me
> isn't a circle for you, so I find it hard to imagine a good definition
> for "pi" under such circumstances.

Do you mean as in special relativity?  In such a case you'd probably
have to define a circle under the Minkowski metric, in which case it
won't look much like a circle.  I *think* that in such a case all
circles end up having zero circumfrence, but I haven't actually worked
out the math so there's a good chance I'm wrong here.

Agreed that a pi-like constant really only makes sense in Euclidean
space though.