POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dimensions
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 13 Jan 2010 11:33:23
Message: <4b4df5d3$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Aren't all cars upgradeable with just software nowadays?

Yes. Actually even my '89 9000 has upgraded software.

> In my car the
> "1.6L", "1.8L", "2.0L" and "2.3L" versions all actually have exactly the
> same engine.

No, they are not :). The very basic engine (=the block itself) is the
same, yes.

> You are just choosing whether you want the 116, 143, 177
> or 204 BHP software installed when you buy it :-)

Nope. The 123d has two turbochargers. The 120d has a bigger
turbocharger, different injectors, IIRC different crankshaft and some
other differencies compared to 118d. 118d and 116d may possibly be the
same engine, I haven't found theier differencies, but I'd guess that
they too have different turbos.

Yes, 1-series was one of the possibilities I though about, so I did a
little digging :p.

> I heard some people
> got up to 265 BHP out of that engine, but to me that seems really stupid
> as all the other components will not have been reliability tested at
> that power level.

I'd say that if it's done correctly, the reliability shouldn't be a
major problem on that engine (especially 123d). But the software I
referred to is a official software (by Hirch), so it won't trash the
warranty of the car.

-Aero