POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: GPU rendering Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU rendering
From: nemesis
Date: 13 Jan 2010 11:10:03
Message: <4b4df05b@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
>>> If you converted POV to run on the GPU then it would take a huge
>>> amount of work and would no longer be as portable as it is today.
>>
>> But would be much faster!  Take a look here:
>
> Sure, but there simply aren't the people willing to do the work for
> free. Look how long it's taken from 3.6 to 3.7 beta, what hope is there
> of a complete rewrite for the GPU before 2020?

What hope is there for an old-fashioned, dog-slow, CPU-only raytracer to
still be alive by 2020?

>> it's an experimental and limited port of the open-source unbiased
>> renderer Luxrender to OpenCL.
>
>  From my very limited knowledge of OpenCL it seems like POV would need
> to be rewritten from scratch to use it.

The guys there ported the ray intersection code and the space
partitioning.  And are working now on refining load balance.  Good
starting points without much pain if you ask me...  I'd leave troubles
with non-triangle surfaces out.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9