POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dimensions
From: scott
Date: 13 Jan 2010 08:45:01
Message: <4b4dce5d$1@news.povray.org>
> Sure, but AMD don't actually call it the XP 2.4GHz. That would be false
> advertising - as would claiming that an engine has a displacement of X
> when it's actually Y.

Yeh, I doubt any car makers falsely advertise the displacement.  But calling
your car a "1.6 TDI" or whatever and it actually having a displacement of
2000cc is probably ok (even though 90% of people would assume the
displacement was 1.6 litres).

> Or just HP if you want to know how powerful it is,

I doubt many people are actually interested in the maximum power their
engine can develop at one particular engine speed.  What's more useful is
how quickly the car can accelerate, eg 40-70mph or 70-100mph times.  This
depends on how much power the engine can develop across a wider range of
RPMs, and also the mass of the car.

> MPG if you want to know how efficient it is... I never did understand the
> fascination with displacement. (Other than that I guess you can
> unambiguously measure it.)

Didn't the UK car tax depend on the displacement of your engine?  Also lots
of racing formulas have limits on the engine displacement (eg 2400cc for F1
currently).  The HP/litre figure is also a good guide as to how well
engineered and advanced the engine is.  And of course higher displacement
usually means a heavier engine, which is something you usually try to avoid.