POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dimensions
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jan 2010 08:31:15
Message: <4b4dcb23$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Erm... 1.6L means that the engine block has a displacement of 1.6L,
>> while 2.3L means that the displacement is 2.3L - i.e., the cylinders
>> are physically bigger.
>
> It used to be like that, if you bought a "one point six" it meant the
> engine displacement was roughly 1600 cc, but nowadays car makers like to
> keep the "one point six" naming convention but actually have a standard
> engine displacement across all models.  A bit like how AMD called their
> processor an XP2400, but it wasn't 2400 MHz.  If I'd bought the "1.6"
> version of my car it would have exactly the same engine as the "2.0"
> version, displacement 1998cc.

Sure, but AMD don't actually call it the XP 2.4GHz. That would be false
advertising - as would claiming that an engine has a displacement of X
when it's actually Y.

>> The Real WTF of course is that displacement is not directly related to
>> power output in the first place...
>
> There are a vast number of things that significantly affect power output
> apart from displacement.  A useful quantity is "horsepower per litre" to
> compare engines.  Really efficient road-car engines can get up to 100
> HP/litre, racing engines over 300 hp/litre.

Or just HP if you want to know how powerful it is, MPG if you want to
know how efficient it is... I never did understand the fascination with
displacement. (Other than that I guess you can unambiguously measure it.)