POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Spaces Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spaces
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jan 2010 07:37:11
Message: <4b4dbe77$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> I suppose I normally view distance in Euclidean space from the same
> definition that applies to non-Euclidean spaces, rather than the
> sqrt(dx^2 + dy^2) form, so I didn't really consider this.  You're right
> though, if you're starting from the pythorgean theorem view of distance
> it does bear some thinking about how it generalizes to the non-Euclidean
> space.
>
> That said, I'm not sure it's necessary to actually understand the proper
> definition of distance in order to talk about circles in other spaces --
> particularly if we limit ourselves to spherical and hyperbolic spaces
> which are more or less easy to visualize.

So how *do* you compute the distance between two points in a non-Euclid
space anyway?

For that matter, is there a way to unambiguously refer to a specific
point in such a space?

(Normally you would of course just use Cartesian coordinates, but it is
not clear to me that this works any more once you remove the parallel
postulate.)