POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightsabers.. : Re: Lightsabers.. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsabers..
From: TC
Date: 12 Jan 2010 21:08:17
Message: <4b4d2b11$1@news.povray.org>
> http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/AboutSoundsInSpace.html

So I'm a hypocrite and a smartass? Some people might get annoyed if you use
language like this ;-)

No, I do not feel like a hypocrite at all. Most movies and most fiction (SF
and otherwise) is just a dream and does not have much to do with reality. I
try to forget about reality when watching a movie or when reading a book. I
try to enjoy it.

Any half-realistic movie about the dark ages would be an abomination, too.
Something I would not like to watch. There is a reason for the dark ages
being called dark: a cruel, ignorant and dirty time. I enjoy movies like
"Ivanhoe" and stories about valiant knights as long as I manage to forget
reality. Nonetheless: chivalry is a dream, too, best enjoyed when emulating
the viewpoint Ludwig II of Bavaria.

I never watch a "making of" because I simply do not wish the illusion to be
destroyed. And I never, ever, watch any documentation on a nice TV-series if
I can help it. There is nothing worse than an actor talking about his or her
role: after hearing Gilian Anderson talking about her role in x-files I
could not bring myself to watch another episode. forever spoiled. Hearing
Amanda Tapping talking about her role in stargate was almost as bad.

One of the problems you encounter when getting older is that it becomes
harder and harder to ignore reality. When I was twenty I never thought about
things like sound in vacuum. I was simply entranced by the plot. If
questioned, I would have realized it to be impossible, of course. But when I
was still young I simply did not think about this. After I actually
 >realized< the impossibility, it became very hard to ignore. The older you
get, the more illusions are destroyed (because you had time to think about
them) and every passing year adds to this.