POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightsabers.. : Re: Lightsabers.. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsabers..
From: TC
Date: 12 Jan 2010 19:53:35
Message: <4b4d198f$1@news.povray.org>
> light the LED(s). No, the, as one guy put it, "unicorn they are looking
> for", is a way to make the actual tube itself "extend", without having to
> have it a fixed length. There is no practical solution at this point for
> doing that.

Your are perfectly right. I wanted to suggest some way that might allow to
 >see< through a clear glass cylinder (without noticing LEDs), enhancing the
illusion of extension. Frankly, to put my idea into work, you would have to
do quite a bit of experimenting. Fiddling with pressures, dyes, voltages.
Way too much work and expense for a party ;-)

Something that might actually work and look cool (though not at all like a
lightsabre) would be putting a chain of miniature plasma globe emitters into
a clear glass cylinder.

http://www.teslaboys.com/Plasma/MorePlasmaGlobes/index.html

I mean: take a plasma globe, shrink it's diameter to 3 cm, take 50 emitters
and put them into a 1.5 m long glass cylinder. Fill it with Krypton, power
up and enjoy.

If you could get it to work, it would look very cool, I guess.

Still - way too much work and expense for a party ;-)