POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really big : Re: Really big Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really big
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Jan 2010 17:42:53
Message: <4b4cfaed$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:

> However, there's a practical difference between possible files and files
> that actually exist.

Notionally, of all the 4GB files that can hypothetically exist, only a
vanishingly tiny fraction of them will ever exist in our universe. Even
assuming that every star system in the entire observable universe has a
sentiant lifeform that has built binary computers with secondary storing
using file-based organisation...

...and yet, you can still create any such file you want. Weird, isn't it?

> And, to a certain extent, a central database of
> files and their associated hashes would allow client computers to just
> have the hash, and ask the server for the associated file.
>
> ...leaving the central server vulnerable, defeating the notion of
> widespread data redundancy.
>
> XD

Yay, destruction! :-D

Also: Isn't this almost exactly what Amazon S3 could be considered to be
doing? (Or, in fact, The Internet as a whole?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/