POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Godel, explained simply : Re: Godel, explained simply Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Godel, explained simply
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Jan 2010 12:53:52
Message: <4b4cb730$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> This does not contradict Godel since this language is
> insufficiently powerful." (No, I can't remember what the language was...)

Yes, it's not difficult to set up such a language. Lots of, for example,
sufficiently simple regular expressions are easy to write a machine for that
will always either halt with acceptance or reject their input.

There are also non-Godel proofs that you can prove are unprovable. I.e.,
there are statements about integers that you can prove are true (using
mathematical systems more powerful than integers) that you also can prove
you can't prove using only integers, and those statements are actually in
some ways useful rather than arbitrarily constructed just to prove Godel's
point, which I think is even *more* cool.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do