POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Godel, explained simply : Re: Godel, explained simply Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Godel, explained simply
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jan 2010 11:11:52
Message: <4b4c9f48$1@news.povray.org>
>> (For example, both these explanations neatly omit the fact that
>> Godel's theorum only applies to "sufficiently powerful systems".)
>
> Yes, except "sufficiently powerful" includes "anything that can do
> integer arithmetic."  And Godel indeed does apply to insufficiently
> powerful systems because they can't, by definition, prove everything
> that is true.

I can't remember which article it was, but I was reading earlier today
about some system or other, and there was a remark about "there exists
an algorithm which can prove or disprove any possible statement in this
language. This does not contradict Godel since this language is
insufficiently powerful." (No, I can't remember what the language was...)