POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightsabers.. : Re: Lightsabers.. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsabers..
From: TC
Date: 11 Jan 2010 18:44:08
Message: <4b4bb7c8$1@news.povray.org>
> Seriously though, I would just like to see one where the blade can extend,
> without the horrible design of the plastic ones. So far, I can't. lol

The problem with light sabres is: they are complete nonsense. Even more so
than laser guns and most other SF stuff. don't crucify me, I am disappointed
by this sad fact, too.

Let's think about those marvellous SF battles, colourful laser beams
glittering in deep space while marvellous sound effects sound aloud. Never
mind that in a vacuum there is no sound to be heard and laser beams are
invisible. But I digress, so back to the post.

I would simulate an extensible light sabre by building on the principle of a
neon light. Get yourself a hilt, a clear glass cylinder with an emitter
cathode on the one end and an anode on the other. Fill with neon gas. By
applying the principle of ionisation by collision and slowly increasing the
voltage you should be able to achieve a look similar to a light sabre. You
can get the electronic parts on the web. Maybe you can find an optical
transparent dye that emits a colourful visible light when hit by
UV-radiation. I don't know if such a dye exists or if it would be
affordable - the usual dye used is not transparent.

However, you might run into problems finding an adequate power supply - or
you would be chained to the nearest socket by a long power cord.