POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? : Re: Should private schools be banned? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should private schools be banned?
From: scott
Date: 11 Jan 2010 06:52:50
Message: <4b4b1112$1@news.povray.org>
> Then you don't know what it is to live in a country where almost the
> entire elite is recruited from a few schools that are only open to the
> elite.

That's not really true, I was at one of the top UK Universities and I think
it was about 50/50 students from the free regular schools (including me!)
and from private schools.  At UK Universities the amount you have to pay
depends on how much your parents earn (plus a few other factors), so it's
perfectly feasible for students from very low income families to attend the
top Universities.

Of course there are far less people at the private schools compared to
regular schools, so the fact that there are so many from private schools at
the top universities means that the schooling is better and/or richer
parents generally have brighter children.

Personally I don't see any need for the jealousy, even if private schools
are banned then the parents will just pay for private tutors or give
additional teaching themselves, you can't ban that.  In the end a bright
child with supportive parents will make it just fine through the regular
school system and into a top University.