POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, geometry, psychology of "no-swerve-to-left" laws in traffic. (US) : Re: Physics, geometry, psychology of "no-swerve-to-left" laws in traffic. (US) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, geometry, psychology of "no-swerve-to-left" laws in traffic. (US)
From: scott
Date: 11 Jan 2010 05:46:26
Message: <4b4b0182$1@news.povray.org>
> Has anyone ever heard of such a proscription about swerving?

Not in the UK - not even a no-swerve right :-), and not in Germany AFAIK.

> Does it make sense
> to instill a general habit in the populace?

I think people are usually pretty good at making a split second decision on
which direction to swerve.  OK so sometimes people decide to swerve left and
then actually cause more damage than if they'd swerved right, but do you
think the situation would be any better if everyone always swerved right?

For me I think my thought process would be something like swerving left if
there was nothing in that lane, else decide what would cause least damage,
hitting whatever it is my lane or swerving to the right (usually there will
be kerbs, signs, trees or people to the right, but hitting those might be
better than an oncoming car depending on the speeds involved).