POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interested in 16-bit height field functions? : Re: Interested in 16-bit height field functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interested in 16-bit height field functions?
From: Alain
Date: 9 Jan 2010 16:12:14
Message: <4b48f12e$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi Sam,
>
> I'm trying for a couple of days now to generate a 6000x4000 pixel image of a
> hexagon pattern and am at the brink of getting a little desperate. First I tried
> it with a smooth-edged hi-res heightfield texture, than with the same texture as
> 16bit grayscale tga but I still got little jagged edges. Then I tried the Wilbur
> software to generate that special red-green tga for POV, which worked nicely,
> except that the Wilbur software always crashed, when I wanted to generate a
> really big texture (more than 4000x4000 pixels or so). So that didn't work
> either for a hi-res rendered image.
>
> Then I came across your .inc files. Do you think they are suitable for making
> such a heightfield with a hexagon pattern? Something like this (I used the
> tga-texture generated from the wilbur software for the heightfield in this
> image):
> http://alien23.de/misc/forum_up1.jpg
>
> I tried a little to make a hexagon heightfield with your .inc files (first with
> the pov-ray hexagon pattern and than with a hexagon texture map) but I didn't
> got very far:
> http://alien23.de/misc/forum_up2.jpg
In this image, you should NOT have those dark parts along the edges. The
tint should go from dark or black in the center of every hex, and
sharply climb to 1 on BOTH sides of every edges.

> Possibly I'm just too stupid, though.
>
> Best wishes,
> Simone

Maybe you can try shearing the pattern to have some vertical as well as
horizontal edges. You then apply an inverse shear to the resulting hight
field.
You still will have one direction with jaggies, but you can use some
juditious rotation, lighting, texturing and camera placement to mostly
hide those.

You can use a small tile that you use many times. That tile only covers
one complete hex and just enough of 4 adjacent ones to create a
continous pattern when tilled. That smaller tile can have much finner
grain than a single one covering the whole thing.

Another solution would be to NOT use an hight field but a mesh that you
replicate as needed. That mesh alone just create a single hex and one
single edge on one side.

Alain