POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interested in 16-bit height field functions? : Re: Interested in 16-bit height field functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interested in 16-bit height field functions?
From: stbenge
Date: 9 Jan 2010 15:49:44
Message: <4b48ebe8@news.povray.org>
mone wrote:
> Hi Sam,

Hello mone.

> Then I came across your .inc files. Do you think they are suitable for making
> such a heightfield with a hexagon pattern? Something like this (I used the
> tga-texture generated from the wilbur software for the heightfield in this
> image):http://alien23.de/misc/forum_up1.jpg

Actually, you don't need my include file to accomplish that. POV-Ray has
some special functions in functions.inc. One of them can produce
honeycomb-like patterns. Check this out:

// begin code

// If using 3.7, put +fng at the command line for 16-bit gray scale.
// If using 3.6, uncomment this line:
//global_settings{hf_gray_16 on}

#default{finish{ambient 1}}

camera{
  orthographic
  right x*2 up y*2
  location -z*100
  look_at 0
}

#include"functions.inc"

plane{z,0
  pigment{
   function{
    f_hex_x(x,y,z, 0)
   }
   color_map{[.7 rgb 0][.9 rgb 1]}
   scale .25
  }
}

// end code

> Possibly I'm just too stupid, though.

Not at all! Sometimes we tend to over-think our problems, and we don't
know all our options.

I encourage you to continue reading as much of the documentation as you
can. This way, when a problem arises, solutions will start popping up.
POV-Ray is one of those programs that lets you accomplish many tasks in
several different ways.

I released some hexagonal patterns a while back, you might want to check
them out:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/message/%3C482478cb%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3C482478cb%40news.povray.org%3E

Happy Raytracing,

Sam