POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 34 startup today - 'Unknown error code' : Re: Debian packaging POV 3.7 Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:56:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian packaging POV 3.7
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 4 Jan 2010 22:21:25
Message: <4b42b035@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> On 3/01/2010 7:14 AM, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>>> It is:
>>> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/povray
>>>
>>> And indeed it gets patched to remove the expiration.
>>>
>>> Doesn't this violate the POV-Ray beta restrictions in every possible
>>> way? I'll consult debian-legal, but I'd like an "opinion" from the
>>> POV-Team first.
>>
>> I have now reported it to debian-legal and to the Debian bugtracker:

> If they follow the source modification instructions on the source download
> page then I'd probably be OK with it.

I'm sure you'll have to be more specific/formal for it to matter; pretend
you're talking to a lawyer :)

What source modification instructions on what page? That modifications have
to be dual-licensed with GPL3? That's the only relevant "instruction" I
found on the webpages.

OK with what? With them redistributing POV betas? OK with distributing
source code too? OK with disabling the hard-limit on beta expiration?